274 views

I put my info in because I was thinking about taking out a second. I swear, it wasn't even two minutes after I hit submit before my phone started ringing at 8:30 PM.

From their advertising, I expected Lending Tree to compile information from lenders (interest rates, etc.) and give me a list of lenders who might be compatible with my needs. Instead, it quickly became clear that they had, in near real-time, given my info to some number of hard-sell call centers. These people were relentless. At first, I tried to be kind and told everyone (at least 20 different companies) that I wasn't sure if I was going to follow through...that I really just wanted to know loan to value ranges and what kinds of interest rates they were offering.

It quickly became obvious that none of these people wanted to reveal anything to me until I was willing to execute a full loan application, with fees. But even telling them "no," did not put a stop to the calls. Every day the same companies would call over and over - sometimes 4-5 calls per day from the same number. I began blocking the numbers, but the callers would just switch to another number (same company, same individual, calling from a new number to get around my blocking).

As if all that wasn't bad enough, then they started using Big Data to find other ways of getting through to me: I started getting calls to a number I had never given to Lending Tree. My 88 year-old father started getting calls from the banks asking for me and pumping him for information about me. Basically ALL my numbers are ruined now. It has been over a month and I STILL get several calls each day.

I've just stopped answering any call that comes from anyone who's not in my contacts and then blocking the number.

I seriously recommend NEVER giving your information to Lending Tree. Just go to your local credit union and get your loan there.

Product or Service Mentioned: Lendingtree Customer Care.

Comments